Saturday 20th December 2014

Spend enough time in a barbershop…

Screen Shot 2014-08-02 at 5.11.51 PM

It started, as these things so often do, innocently enough. I agreed to accompany a friend to her appointment at our neighborhood piercing emporium, and then of course—because what I really want is another tattoo and this seemed like a harmless enough stand-in—before long I was ponying up for a piece of the action. And it’s probably a good thing I wasn’t feeling quite hardcore enough to consent to one of those (ouchy-looking) upper-ear pierces like the cool girls have, because I think my little row of hoops feels sweet and feminine; even understated. Not that I don’t imagine I’ll be mixing things up a bit eventually.

earrings

1. Ariel Gordon 2. Wendy Nichol 3. Gabriela Artiga 4. Maya Brenner 5. Melissa Joy Manning 6. Doyle & Doyle  7. Blanca Monros Gomez 8.Stone

Photo by my very talented photographer brother Todd.

Posted on August 12th, 2014 31 Comments

1. Lisa says:

I wonder, are you familiar with Wendy Brandes’ work? I could easily imagine one of her earrings playing its part in your new lineup!

These multiple hoops look really good on you. An edgy, but still classy look that is so hard to achieve. You are on a journey!

3. Lesley says:

Awesome photo, Kim! I feel all kindred because I recently shoved open all my ear piercings from my 20s again and have been sporting tiny hoops…and I have cove

4. Lesley says:

whoops, coveted ruby studs for a long time

5. Katie Lynn says:

I have three lined up in a row like yours, but had to take the hoops out of my second and third holes because the hinges were ripping my hair behind my ear (which is a problem when one has hair midway down her back). Those Melissa Joy Manning ones look perfect for my problem!

I almost did the same thing a few years ago, when my friend got a second hole for her birthday. She was a bit scared as her ears had been pierced as a small child and she didn’t remember it. Unfortunately I have really small ears, and the fourth hole would have had to have been a cartilage piercing.

6. AmyM says:

So cute! You look super happy and your lashes are looking killer!

7. Ann says:

I’ve been considering reusing the extra two holes I had pierced in college. Is this a 50 year old mid life thing we are all experiencing? :)

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

I would say, “Yes!,” Ann. My friends and I each added an extra piercing one night after dinner at the campus cafeteria….the food made you want to put holes in something, I guess…So, one shot of whiskey, and a few exhortations to “Remember our soldiers in Vietnam!” in order to deal with the pain, I had two holes in one ear (We figured it was edgier.)
      I really don’t have a desire to reopen old wounds, however.

8. tamara says:

got my third tattoo to celebrate my 50th…my hair is too wild for multiple piercings…

9. Ann says:

I won’t do tattoos as I live in Seattle, and everyone has them, but I do think Kim’s is beautiful.

Kim, are the small hoop earrings from the piercing place, or do you have a recommendation for some very thin gold hoops for those extra holes?

10. Grenadine says:

I love this! Looks great, I’m surprised by the combo of elegance with edginess. The hoops are perfect. I also love your tattoo. It’s hard to stand out with a tattoo in Portland, Ore. but maybe I will get one someday. Yours is one of the loveliest I’ve seen – so many of them are trying so hard to be edgy that they come off as cliche. A long time ago I had an idea of getting a tattoo of an old 17th or 18th-century cameo piece that I saw in a museum once in the South where I am from. It was a beautiful simple sillhouette of a lady framed in a simple design and I thought it would make a beautiful tattoo on the inside of my wrist. Maybe someday…But love the idea of a liberty print! I am actually currently looking for a liberty print barbour jacket — wish that J Crew or somebody in the USA would come out with a good one but I might just have to get it from the UK. Crazy shipping prices but probably worth it…..

• KimFrance says:

I love your idea for a tattoo! Go for it! J Crew sometimes sells the Liberty Barbour jackets, though they don’t appear to be doing so at the moment.

• Ann says:

Grenadine,
        You have the same reaction living in Portland as I do living in Seattle. Your idea of a tattoo seems great though, and you would stand out for having a good one. I wish people thought more about what they were putting on their bodies in permanent ink. I agree with you, Kim’s is truly one of the loveliest I’ve seen and I’ve seen A LOT of tattoos! There is a tattoo convention in Seattle this weekend, and I bet nobody has your cameo idea.

• Grenadine says:

Thanks for the encouragement on the tattoo idea…I’m about to turn 45 so hey, maybe I’ll go for it! And yeah, I could relate to what you were saying about Seattle, same here in Portland, hence my comment…

• Heather says:

I’ve also seen them turn up on Ebay from time to time.

11. Jill Montaigne says:

On days when multiples seem too fussy there are adorable ear ‘cuffs” that don’t require holes, radiate a little bit of “I’m still a style setter for my friends.”, plus the designer is a charming and kind woman from the Lower East Side. http://www.MarlaAaron.com

12. viajera says:

The multipierce thing doesn’t seem to move me one way or the other, but Kim — you look fantastic!!!!

• viajera says:

You know though, if it were a piece of chocolate cake you were trying to distract yourself from, by eating frozen yogurt … I’d say, just eat the cake. (You know … assuming no health issues with sugar… I gotta say that b/c of the mood here today.)

I don’t get the sense that you’re one of those people who’s going to go out and tatt their whole body. I don’t even see you doing a whole arm (and I see a lot of that here). So, I don’t think there is much danger in another tattoo. And it is much safer than climbing Everest, I should think.

13. kate says:

I like the bravery but I dunno…the prices put me off. silver and rock crystal for 250.00? It bugs. Etsy does way the heck better.

• Jennifer says:

I agree. Whenever I see jewelry I like here, I search on Etsy and find similar or identical things for much less. I’ve seen silver studs just like #2 above for a fraction of the price. In fact, I may go and order them now.

• JenM says:

Yes! This is exactly what I do. See the pricey studs and then head over to Etsy for real-world prices.

14. Anns says:

Love it! Now I want to go and get 3 holes redone.

15. Meghan says:

Huh! I have three piercings on one side, and one on the other. The three on one side are the result of me wanting a second piercing SO BADLY as a 12 year old that I found a piercing place that would only charge me HALF of the cost, and that was all I had. A few years later I got another hole, just to be different. 31 now and still love it.

16. Stella says:

Was Colby your piercer? He did my daughter’s nose piercing a few years ago — I thought he was very nice and had such a calming presence.

17. Susan says:

I love it! I am now coveting those tiny hoops and plotting to buy some. I have second holes in each ear that I haven’t used in a very long time, but between this picture and my teenager looking so cute with her newly double-pierced ears, I’m feeling inspired to use them again.

18. yvonne says:

You look so happy and gorgeous! I could see you sporting something from this designer too – http://www.kathleenwhitaker.com/jewelry/double-post-stick-earring.html

19. JenM says:

I think you look awesome, Kim. Rock on!