Saturday 22nd November 2014

A visit from the mix mistress

Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 11.13.36 AM

My dear friend Elise, who is currently in town from LA, has a fantastic sense of style: she has never met a bold print she didn’t want to pair with a bolder one, and her approach to color is fearless. I always look forward to seeing how she’s going to put herself together, and when we met up yesterday for lunch at Russ &  Daughters, she did not disappoint. For starters, she was wearing a red and white striped tee, which in the wardrobe vocabulary of Elise, practically qualifies as a solid.

Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 10.48.24 AM

And then one of those floral print skirts that flirt with—but stop just short of—being altogether too much.

Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 12.10.43 PM

The fact that Elise is 5’10” is not something that keeps her from wearing heels when the mood strikes her. But we are friends from Lucky days, and express our affection for one another by shopping together, which we did after dining. So today she wore flats, the better with which to make tracks.

Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 12.14.11 PM

And then she was carrying this altogether too cute tote, with which I am fully obsessed.

Posted on August 7th, 2014 11 Comments

1. Chris says:

Link for adorable tote leads to a madewell sandal.

I’m always impressed when women can mix their prints––and this seems an energetic combination!

By the by…when I tried to find the tote I was sent to the Madewell page featuring a sandal. ack.

4. Carla says:

Not to diss the LA skirt retailer, but you can have a bold and fabulous custom skirt made with your choice of fabrics from LUREaLURE on Etsy at a fraction of this price. I own two.

5. Liz says:

I think this Elise might also have a wild head of brilliant red curls, if it’s the Elise I knew fifteen years ago. She always looked brilliant.

6. Dana D says:

I always enjoy thinking about how much I would love to know the brave and curious and optimistically stylish ladies who walk out the door dressed in color and pattern…

try as I might, I’m only truly comfortable in black or navy or white and tan/brown…

So I attempt to be brave and curious and optimistic in other ways…(sunglasses, jewelry, gray in my hair?)

and LOVE looking at the boldness of color and pattern on other beautiful women!

7. viajera says:

I would have said that that skirt *was* too much already. But in a good way. We need more Elises. My wardrobe bores the cr*p out of me. (I also despise shopping…)

8. Anne-Marie says:

It’s fun to read the names of all of the Lucky alumni you mention on this blog. As a devoted reader since 2005, I felt as though I came to know all of you just a bit, which was, I imagine, the reader experience you were going for. I’ve kept most of the back issues, by the way, and still peruse each back issue for the current month as the year rolls around…it’s just a fun little ritual, and one that continues to put those names in front of me. So I do hope Elise is doing well. I always enjoyed her online shopping picks. I thought of her as the one who probably went around wearing the cool crafty things…you know, the chunky Marni-ish necklaces, hand tooled thick leather belts, and the like : )

9. Ruth says:

LOVE THE TOTE!!! (Intentional all caps.)