Friday 22nd August 2014

I like a white jean

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 1.51.31 PM

But I like it to be loose, as this woman’s are. I have found it such a struggle to feel good about my thighs in tight white jeans that even back when I was a chain-smoking stress case and skinnier than I’d been in high school, I couldn’t abide them. Ones with a little more room also just feel a bit chicer in my book—nice and slouchy, like you’d wear khakis and any other light-colored pant.

Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 2.28.41 PM

I just got this pair from Current-Elliott (which you might recognize, as they are same model, different color as these*) and have been wearing them cuffed just once and very wide, 90s-style. I also like this boyfriend slouchy pair from J Brand, who always make a nice jean, and this one from 7 for All Mankind. And if you’re looking for something less-than-completely optic white, this might be up your alley.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted on June 18th, 2014 20 Comments

1. y.k. says:

what was your preferred brand of cigarette ?
    hmmm. that would be good post too. :-)

2. lorimac says:

I had been thinking that my loose white jeans made me look bigger (the theory that light clothes expand the figure while dark clothes make you look thinner) so thank you for making me re-think this position. You are absolutely right – the thought of super tight white jeans pulling across thighs – eeek! I will now happily wear my semi loose white jeans from now on. #mindreset

3. Mary Alice says:

The links all take me to the same pair of jeans. :(

4. Brittni says:

One Teaspoon makes a great loose distressed pair.

5. I dunno, I think loose-fitting white jeans or pants make me appear bottom heavy. I feel a white skinny or a cigarette jean are the way to go for my long torso-short legged body. I still love that first outfit though.

• y.k. says:

i agree.
      i remember there was a post earlier w/ great pics of emanuelle alt& her buds in tight white jeans& dark jackets& scarves – so cool.

I agree they seem to look best cropped, and I am coming around to the idea that I might not want any stretch in them.

I have to say though that I wouldn’t order something that hard to fit online, especially since the sizing information makes absolutely no sense, since they just use a waist measurement and the pants don’t come up anywhere near the waist (which if they did, would be a much bigger problem anyway). What good does it do to know that a certain pair *might* fit — in the US, f.e. – a 10, 12 or 14? Those sizes are meaningless too. They ought to just measure the darned garments.

7. Lorraine says:

Was it here that I saw the reference to the color marshmallow? These would be terrific in marshmallow color as opposed to white.

8. joannawnyc says:

The only problem with white jeans is that once it gets well into the 80s I just don’t want to wear them. Or indeed any jeans! It’s white linen trousers or nothing (or a skirt, I guess, I don’t need to subject the world to the sight of my bare thighs ;-))

9. Grenadine says:

I totally just discovered this truth myself, that white jeans are much nicer somewhat loose-fitting or slouchy or whatever. Could not agree more. Not only are tight white jeans unflattering but they are too hot to wear in summer! I wear my white jeans all year round, though, no need to restrict to warmer months.

10. claite says:

So, the Current-Elliot ones are described as a slim boyfriend cut – do you size up to get them looking more slouchy or are they slouchy in your regular size?

11. caroline says:

Completely agree. I will quite happily pour myself into dark jeans…
    But unless you have an incredible body (mine is less than perfection I’m not ashamed to admit))white jeans look a little mumsy to me.. Just waiting to be paired with a festive colored tunic..
    Loose fit is trying far less hard and yes,less hot in summer..
    That said if you can pull it off..good on you!

I love a good white jean, and even a slouchy white trouser…it seems so Charlotte Rampling. I never really understand the hesitancy most women seem to have about wearing white jeans just because they might get dirty. Well, DUH! Of course they will, but that’s why God invented bleach or oxyclean!

13. Katie Lynn says:

I have been on a search this summer for a good white jean. So far I have been completely unsuccessful. Either the jean material is too thin and they are see-through (WHY?! Why would you make them so thin when your other regular jeans are so thick?), or they do terrible things to the back of my thighs. I think I am going to have to give up on finding a pair this year.

14. Ruth says:

Tight white jeans have always struck me as very cheap looking.