Monday 1st September 2014

Top 5 of the week: nostalgia edition

Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 2.48.44 PM

I’m feeling it for the jeans that flattered asses long before the universal obsession with with jeans that flatter asses.

lola nails

And also for the ripest of tomato-red toenails.*

Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 3.20.10 PM

A Lacoste polo shirt is classic in its appeal. And its deeper, five-button neckline is a welcome—I daresay sexy—update.

Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 1.27.11 PM

Clinique’s Black Honey lip color will always come through. As does—just in general—the gateway drug that, for so many of us, was Clinique.

Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 6.55.33 PM

Wayfarers suffered for too long at the hands of frat boys and the Risky Business poster, but that’s all history. Now they’re the perfect option for the woman who looks like she isn’t trying too hard—whether or not, in point of fact, she is.

*Maddeningly, the site doesn’t let you link to individual shades; this one, if you’re interested, is named Lola.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted on June 16th, 2014 29 Comments

1. Lori says:

I’ve been wearing the Black Honey almost lipstick for an embarassing number of years!!

2. Lisa says:

Ah, this is a look I could get behind.

Badabing:).

Black Honey is the best.

Who can’t love a pair of Levi’s.

Ray Bans…still love them.

4. auntjone says:

I just bought another pair of Levi’s over the weekend….505s to be exact. Not too much stretch, mid-rise, straight leg. I have no idea if they flatter my ass but they fit! Baby #3 changed my body in ways I did not anticipate so I have to rethink how I shop and dress, which means I am seriously tempted to pay $98 for that shrug in your previous post.

5. Drew says:

I bought those Levi’s last month, and while I love the fit I can’t help wondering if I’m wearing a “mom jean” — y’know, I don’t want to be the woman who won’t let go of the past. But, if you tell me that Levis still hold their “hip” — then I’m in.

Thanks, as always, for steering the way to fashionable sense.

6. Natalie says:

Rayban Wayfarers – looked good in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and now.

Enough said. I’ve worn them for years and can’t see myself stopping because they really are effortlessly cool.

7. y.k. says:

Could not be more accurate- clinique was my gateway drug.

8. gateway drug: love it – and still wear it sometimes. love my wayfarers, too. and my levis. thanks, as always, for being so cool.

9. Jen says:

I love the Lacoste shirt–J. Crew had one with a similar cut and neckline last year in navy, and I’ve been looking for a black one in the same style–but until now hadn’t turned anything up. This is on my list!

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

I saw a pic of the always stylish Ines De La Fressange in a black polo worn with pale golden ankle-cropped khakis and I had to recreate the outfit!

10. Lesa says:

OMB, love my Ray Ban Clubmaster (a.k.a., Malcolm X) sunglasses. Hope I don’t start seeing them on everyone. I still mourn the discontinuation of Clinique’s Almost Lipstick shade called Bronze Lilac. It was perfect in every way except the name, which almost certainly resulted in its premature demise. Alas, I am the exception to the rule that Black Honey works for everyone. It does not remotely work on me, and I still have 9/10 of a tube of it stuck in a drawer somewhere.

• Heather says:

Agreed, Black Honey is horrible on me. But great on others. (My go-to shade is Mac Viva Glam VI.)

• Suz says:

I just checked the vault (makeup drawer) and I still have part of a tube of “almost bare” (the nude shade of the line) left. Black Honey was not good on me at all.

• RebeccaNYC says:

Rum Raisin was the first lipstick I ever bought in 1976. It came in that beautiful classic silver tube. I thought I was so rich! Still the best color….

11. Grenadine says:

Love the Lacoste shirt in white, navy, and red. These used to be THE THING to wear when I was an adolescent, especially in pink. Def love the extended button placket. Hadn’t considered Ray Bans for awhile but you’ve inspired me. Thanks!

12. Caryn says:

I never bought real Ray Bans back in the day, my mom bought me knockoffs and then I bought better knockoffs but now I need them, and cannot find the Lolas at the shopbop link. Dammit

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Caryn, I think “Lola” was referring to the Marc Jacobs nail lacquer shade.

13. joannawnyc says:

I just dug up a couple of pairs of Levis I haven’t worn in a while because they are bootlegs, but I have to admit that they fit my butt perfectly.

And yes on the RayBans. Wore them to death in the 80s but they’re looking good again now. I will just have to get knockoffs from Zenni or fit a pair with rx lenses.

And Black Honey is a stand-by for me.

14. Suz says:

Ah, nostalgia…..One of my long lost clothing items I miss is a faded navy Lacoste shirt that my dad bought in France in the 60s when he lived there for a time. It was hard to come by in the US back then (Dad was quite stylin’) It was soft and faded to perfection and I loved it even more when the aligator fell off leaving just its darker shadow . That shirt was extremely well made and wore like iron – it eventually was donated in a fit of anti prep feeling, which I still regret. What was I thinking?!

Raybans I really love… but they do not work on me. Perfect and classic. And yeah, dad had those too

I went back to Levis a few years ago and am quite happy. They don’t get overly trendy, hold up for years, and really do make your ass look good. I am a bootcut girl through and through. Its the one area I can almost shop like a dude and pull it off the rack without trying anything on

15. Rebecca says:

…..I’m wearing everything but the jeans right now. I guess I need to stop by the Levi store on Michigan Avenue and complete the look.

16. caroline says:

Amen to the Levi’s!
    They we’re my first jeans love and transitioned nicely from high school to college by pegging the legs! It was goodbye Lacoste hello cut up t-shirts..
    But those jeans stayed by my side..I think I owe it to them to buy a pair again..

17. Mary Alice says:

I’ve worn Black Wayfarers since 1982. I have never worn another style – when one pair gets too scratched for my liking, I throw it in the backseat of my convertible to use as a spare pair and get a new pair. Besides being cooler than cool, they are the best sun protection ever for my pale weak eyes.

18. Jozelle says:

Love them all. Still wearing them all too, especially the Lacoste tee – great fit.

Levi’s, wore the “shrink to fit” button fronts all through my college years.
    RayBan Wayfarers, always
    Red nails, on toes, always
    Clinique Black Honey, bad memories of an assault…no can do.
    LaCoste, memories of preppy friends in college.

20. jennifer says:

I am so predictable then! I have recently loaded up on “vintage” (seriously??) 501 levis from the 80s and 90s, and black honey, “gateway drug” is the perrrrrrfect description (though I’m in recovery now).

21. kate says:

Clinique also did the same lip color in Ruby which they discontinued. It was the perfect red; not quite tomato and not too blue. I miss it still.