Tuesday 21st October 2014

Cheap and chic of the week

marilla dress

I’m a big fan of the UK-based high street chain Allsaints, which hit our shores a few years back: their look is all about drape and asymmetry and could not be more up my alley. But I do not so much dig their prices, and for this we can blame a crappy exchange rate that should hurry up and just right itself already. Until it does, though, I shall wait patiently until sale season to shop there, and I’m happy to report that time has come. Among the very nice selection: this subtly draped dress comes in quieter shades like heather grey, black, and eggplant, but I like it in good old poppy red.

itat shrug

Such a brilliant notion: an un-cropped shrug.

city monument coat

Only the chicest junk-camouflaging coat of all time, maybe.

Tags: , ,
Posted on June 16th, 2014 6 Comments

1. Elaine says:

Nice stuff, but their sizing could really confuse someone who wasn’t familiar with European sizing. I’m a UK size 10, which they translate as a US 6. Thanks to vanity-sizing, probably, I take a US 2. Anyone ordering online using their US size would end up with something far too small.

• Grenadine says:

I was wondering about the sizing on this brand as was considering the shrug, which looks awesome, but have never ordered from them before. I am also a US 2 but have sometimes taken a UK 6 or even a 4 depending on the brand. Have you worn All Saints stuff and are you saying that particularly in their clothing a 2 translates into a 10? Thanks!

• Kate says:

No. Good luck making any judgements about AllSaints sizing. That’s why I don’t order anything from them any more except maybe the occasional sweater. I’m a 10-12, which is the outer limit of standard UK sizes anyway (12-14), but I once ordered three different styles of trousers from AllSaints, all in a size UK14. One pair fit (it looked horrible though). One pair was too small. One pair fell right off my ass. And other things I’ve ordered have been similarly wonky. Put in the exchange rate plus shipping from Canada, and it’s WAY too expensive a game, shopping there.

Your results may vary of course, and perhaps their sizing is kinder to people who aren’t UK fat.

• Suz says:

I was just about to type pretty much the same thing. Their sizing is all over the place and usually runs small in odd ways. I think the shrug might be ok, as there is some flexibility in the style.

I am also fat by Uk standards as I have shoulders and am busty (I am a US med 8-10 generally) which means all their jackets are a lost cause.

• Elaine says:

Sorry for the late reply. The Allsaints website states that a UK 10 is a US 6. I go to Ireland and the UK often, and am always a UK 10 but am never more than a 2 in the US – except for other European labels, e.g. Zara. I also have never seen a UK size 4 (and almost never see a UK 6), so their sizing is really strange.

2. RebeccaNYC says:

must have that coat. but unfortunately the sizing ( I am a US16, does not exist in their universe) and the price place it out of my reach. oh well.