Tuesday 29th July 2014

Tuesday Links

jennifer weiner

• Queen of chick lit and advocate for female novelists Jennifer Weiner gets the New Yorker treatment. (New Yorker)
  • It’s the Season Two House of Cards trailer and boy does it look juicy. (You Tube)
  • How to bring good design to working in bed. It would not be possible for this to be more up my alley. (Flavorwire)
  • Louis CK made a movie in 1998 with a bunch of people who are now famous and soon we will all be able to see it. (Slate)
  • And finally: this interview with me turned out OK.  Although the sound of my own voice drives me up a tree. (Mediabistro)

Posted on January 7th, 2014 24 Comments

1. Jacky says:

I always looks forward to your links posts, love that you included that interview with you today. Putting a face and voice to the author is always a great bonus as a reader.

2. susan says:

I enjoyed the interview. Lots of good advice! I’m going to forward it to my 20something children.
    An everyday reader,
    Susan

3. Lia says:

I tried to stay with Vanity Fair after Dominick Dunne died and other writers I found amusing. Vanity Fair seems to get thinner and thinner in reality and substance. We get the New Yorker and, as an artist, I subscribe to several Art magazines. Someone gave me a subscription to Women’s Health…which I have to say most of the magazines now in that genre are recycled content that is slightly updated form 30 years ago…been there done that. Targeted to a newbie demographic in my estimation. Like you when I’m searching for an interesting haircut or a dress for a special occasion, I look at Vogue or Bazaar. When traveling I buy a copy of Allure or one of the magazines like that with lots of small dabs of content for quick consumption on a plane. I do subscribe/rss to about 60 blogs… art, perfume, fashion, decor, Paris Review, Slate etc, and of course yours.

4. Hannah says:

I have this theory that the bed possesses a certain relative gravity, and the farther away from it you get, the easier it is to get work done instead of going back to sleep. I think a sleep-desk would render me impotent.

• Monica M says:

Seriously! I would eventually end up snuggled with a pillow instead of upright and working.

• Viajera says:

Interesting theory!

I have seen in articles that sleep hygienists (which I guess is people who treat insomnia…) suggest *not* overlapping your work and sleep spaces.

Otoh … there is that great Seinfeld episode.

5. Jane says:

Magazines! I need to have the real thing in my hand so I can smell them. Love the smell of magazines! Here’s my list:
    Lucky
    Rolling Stone
    Forbes
    AARP (only cuz they insist on sending it to me but I admit I’ve gleaned some important info. Dang it)
    Self (I tear out the workouts and pretend I’ll use them someday)
    Vogue (US only cuz I’m not that cool)
    Traverse (Northern Michigan area as we have a cottage there and it’s the greatest place in the world)
    InStyle (this one and Vogue smell the best)

6. jennyg says:

Thanks for posting the interview, cool to see you in action. And thanks for putting an image out there for us 40ish girls!

7. ljchicago says:

Great interview. I don’t know anyone who likes the sound of their own voice when they hear it recorded. I always think, “Do I really sound like that?”

8. Shannon says:

So I’m 29, but for some reason your blog suits me so much more than all the others out there, so I have always assumed that I qualify as a “Girl of a Certain Age” – I hope you agree. I also think your advice is great (in your interview) and applies to all women in all fields… Thanks and well done on the interview.

9. Dana says:

Kim, I think you are awesome. And you have a fabulous voice with a little rasp underneath it. Rock it!

10. Cindy says:

I think it was a great interview. You were very polished, articulate and informative. I am a girl of a certain age and absolutely love your blog. It is the perfect blend of humor, edge, great fashion and tidbits of insight into you.

11. Aw, man! No snark? It’s my raison d’etre.

Great interview, Miz K!

12. Diane says:

I agree with the others — the interview is great and I am so glad to add the voice to the face to the writing. Your advice is right on and so important for young women to hear. Thanks especially for the focus on being kind and not cynical. Cynicism is such a cheap thrill and as I get older my only real “personal growth” goal is to be kind. I can understand the need/desire for a holiday break but god I’m glad you’re back!

Hmm. I have a weirdo bias against video online, but since it was you …

I thought it went well too. Your voice is *fine.* Totally not annoying. (And I get annoyed fast.)

Is that why I hate most “women’s” magazines? Editors are young and only like trends, as opposed to actually looking good? That explains a lot!!!

I still don’t really agree that Lucky was “about” shopping. People keep saying it, but I don’t think I ever bought a single thing in it. I liked it because, to me at least, it was about original approaches to getting dressed. The people *didn’t* all look the same. When the change in editors happened, I hung with it for a little while and then bailed, because that pioneering spirit was gone. I mean, I know it was just clothes, but there were some genuinely quirky people in those pages. That’s what I liked. And so it doesn’t surprise me to hear that you don’t like it when people are mean just because it seems prestigious or something. It all makes sense.

Oh, and we’ve all talked about this before, but I still don’t think age is the real issue, the vast majority of the time. It’s a question of good taste and whether something is flattering or not.

Then again, I’ve been hating much of the clothing I see in mags (and to some extent, in stores) for a couple of years now, so maybe I have turned into a crank? Hmm.

I thought the interview was concise, on point and your make-up and hair were FABulous. (No one likes their recorded voice.)

16. y.k. says:

kim you sound confident and matter of fact love that.
    i love this blog b/c it’s the perfect blend of cool fashion and pop culture to me – i’m 49.
    and i love what you said about snark& mean& cynicism.

17. Lara says:

Your interview was great! Thank you for being a beacon of positivity – it is too easy to go down the slippery slope of sarcasm and cynicism. Being positive takes more bravery, honesty and intelligence – all wins with me. Those are the reasons why I love to stop in every day – there is always something to inspire, encourage, empathize with… It feels like we are conspiring over coffee in my kitchen. Don’t go changing!

18. SueM says:

You know we love you, great work on the interview and I know it must have been weird to see/hear yourself. One major difference I think between GOCA women and younger is that we were raised to be self-effacing and now everyone is “selfie-taking”.
    For reading pleasure I like blogs like Business of Fashion, Keep it Chic and Garance and Nowness (although it’s preciousness sometimes makes me yawn), many online/print amalgams like Self Service and Style.com.
    Xo

19. joannawnyc says:

Video: you look great, you sound great, and the last thing you said made me a little sad. I would love it if you got involved in starting up another magazine!