Friday 25th July 2014

Luck has nothing to do with it

om good fortune

I try not to get superstitious about too many things; it seems unnecessary to add an extra layer of stress in life by fearing year your world will come apart the moment a mirror crashes to the floor. But I do believe in the power of tailsmans, for they are like little self-fulfilling prophecies one walks around with: you put them on for strength, and in doing so, simply summon the strength you’ve had all along. For years, whenever I was facing something scary, I wore two hearts as a pendant. Each had been given to me by close friends. One was a gold locket, the other, a beautiful pink quartz Kazuko puffed heart. They reminded me always that, no matter how baroquely bad things got, and no matter  how strong my impulse toward self-loathing became, there were people who loved me and who I loved back.

Of course I can’t put my finger on it right now. And I could use it at the moment, because somebody I love very much has had a bad turn, and  right now we’re all a bit in the dark, waiting to see what the coming weeks and months will reveal. I have felt the desire to reach for something, but I own no other piece of jewelry that has the meaning those hearts did. So I’ve been looking for something new. These are all on the splurgy side, but when life pisses you off, there’s power in blowing a whole hunk of cash, too. This shell-shaped Om charm from Good Fortune is the loveliest Om charm pretty much ever.

sidney evan evil eye

The evil eye can mean some pretty heavy stuff—there are cultures where it is believed that one can cast cruel spells with it. But we happy Americans have just decided to make it a symbol of protection and good luck. I love the little  diamond moment on this delicate one by Sydney Evan.

Screen Shot 2013-07-10 at 4.53.24 PM

Figas originated in Europe, and were most commonly used to increase fertility. In some cultures, it’s said to ward off the effects of the evil eye. I just think it’s badass.

Tags: , , ,
Posted on July 10th, 2013 11 Comments

1. marjorie says:

Good thoughts for your loved one, Kim.

2. Beth Ellen says:

I’m sending positive thoughts your way. We have all been there. I think I will go put on the eye pendant that my daughter bought me in Israel now. One day at a time.

3. pambamboo says:

My partner and I are custom jewelers and we specialize in silver and gold symbols to bring out your inner strength! Each piece we sell is made by hand and to order but we try to make them as un-spendy (is that a word) as possible because the rich already have enough beautiful things. This is our search page and if you see something you like, drop me a line; discounts are always available for wonderful bloggers: (I’m gonna try and code this) Symbols For Everybody. I hope I can help!

4. Thank you Kim. Love your site & you know we LOVE Ten Thousand Things & Sydney Evan! Best ~ Joanne

5. blackbird says:

I’m thinking of you while you wait and hope.

6. Lisa J says:

Talisman, I know exactly what you mean. I’ve been wearing two special pieces on a chain for years. One is a small pave peace sign which was given to me by my husband during an extremely stressful time. The other, a small evil eye set in rose gold surrounded by pave diamonds that I purchased from a friend when I was unwell. Heather was living in Mykonos and would spend summers here selling jewelry and trinkets she collected year round. She is no longer with us, taken much too soon. I miss her and I treasure this talisman.

7. Elizabeth says:

Kim, you & your loved one are in my thoughts.

8. KimFrance says:

Thanks, all of you. xx

9. Jessica says:

I love this post. This has been a difficult month. Thinking of you and your loved one.

10. GT says:

I like to consider ALL jewelry given to you by someone important as talismatic, family jewelry too. In the 70s, my Mom got a honkin’ pink ruby cocktail ring that she wore forever (& always). When she passed away, my sister opted to let me have the ring because it was so over-the-top and not particularly wearable. But a (wise!) jeweler redesigned it into a very subtle channel-style ring of pink rubies that I wear virtually every day. While it isn’t exactly my Mom’s ring, the rubies (also her birthstone) are with me everyday. How can that NOT be a good feeling??

11. Kate says:

I’m sending positive thoughts to you and your loved one, Kim. I have a silver acorn necklace that I always wear and a ring that belonged to my grandmother, and I feel lost without them. (So much so that when I misplaced my grandmother’s ring while I was moving, I got a tattoo of the design when I found it.)