Saturday 25th October 2014

Our lady of the Lower East Side

Screen shot 2013-05-14 at 10.38.54 PM

Andrea and me at a book party in 2008. In Los Angeles, a city that we have shopped the hell out of

My longtime friend (and sometime co-conspirator) Andrea Linett is an ideal shopping companion. She has endless stamina, is famously amusing, and has a great eye not only for what’s worth buying, but—perhaps more importantly—what’s worth leaving behind. We don’t get to see each other nearly as often as back when we were running a magazine together, but we still talk and text all the time. And have shopping excursions when we can,  occasionally running into former co-workers, who always look mildly shocked to see we’re still at it. On Sunday, Andrea and I made a date to visit Gargyle, a boutique way deep down on the Lower East Side that I’d never visited—and that shockingly, given that this is so much her turf that some neighborhood shopkeepers once nicknamed her The Mayor of Ludlow Street, neither had Andrea.

Screen shot 2013-05-12 at 5.51.15 PM

Gargyle is is a wee little store, but it is packed with wonder: flowy Mes Demoiselles dresses; sexy lace blouses from Lover that I would totally wear even though I am not a sexy lace blouse person;  their own rather beautiful line of bags; and more. I wasn’t sure how Andrea would feel about these snake print embossed leather platforms, but she thought they were as awesome as I did, so of course I not only bought them but wore them out of the store.  I am about a million per cent sure that at least one of you is going to insist they are awful and the very soul of clunk, but I am here to tell you that when you put them on, they are magic.

Screen shot 2013-05-12 at 5.57.14 PM

I do love a leopard print, but rarely on a bag: as with shoes, it almost invariably ends up looking cheap. This Wood Wood tote is a glorious exception, thanks to the excellent washed-out grey and black print.

Screen shot 2013-05-14 at 11.28.29 PM

Right down the street from Gargyle is Project No. 8, a spare, clean design store that displays its wares pristinely and thoughtfully, giving the art gallery treatment to, well, the same stuff that pretty much all of these places carry. Waxed canvas totes? Check. Artisanal soap from Brooklyn? Check. Hand-tooled wallets? Check. Apartamento magazine?  Present and accounted for.

beetumbler

Of course I am generalizing horribly. There’s plenty of beautiful stuff at Project No. 8, and it’s all quite carefully chosen, and this crystal bee tumbler is maybe one of the best things ever.

maryam nassir

Then we moved along to Maryam Nassir Zadeh, a store I absolutely love even though I have never bought a thing there. The clothes are all expensive and esoteric, with shapes that are frequently complicated and far easier to pull off the closer you are to six feet tall.

veronique

For instance, I would not attempt this, but it is a wonder to behold.

Screen shot 2013-05-15 at 12.17.25 AM

My favorite thing at Maryam Nassir Zadeh are the shoes. I can’t even bear to look at these Robert Clergerie platforms.

Screen shot 2013-05-15 at 12.22.54 AM

And check out the heel on these gold Rochas slingbacks!

Tags: , , , ,
Posted on May 15th, 2013 29 Comments

1. AmyM says:

I would wear the hell out of the gold platforms. Every shoe in this post is damn near perfect. Please double check the Clergerie link (though the current result is a good read).

2. Caroline says:

That book launch photo is for a book from Lucky that to this day still inspires and informs my fashion choices. Andrea is a goddess to me and yes I LOVE the chunky gold platforms!

3. corrin says:

I would snatch those gold platforms up in a second if they weren’t more than my car payment.

4. marjorie says:

i LURVE the gold platforms.

5. farah bano says:

The gold platforms and Robert Clergerie platforms are so lovely! Thanks for this beautiful post.

6. Maggie says:

I never realized how much you two resemble each other!

7. Selina says:

I too like those platforms. They’re good day-to-nighters.

And if you’re gonna have clunk, it sure as hell may as well be gold snakeskin clunk!

8. I love that the best of what made Lucky Lucky are still together.

9. yunah says:

yes, snake platforms are perfection. u2 looks like sisters, gorgeous pic.

LOVE the snake platforms and was relieved to see they do not come in my size! Y’all are awesome shoppers!! (and the bee tumbler…love the bee tumbler…an instance where size does not matter)

11. kfletch says:

My only quibble with the gold platforms is the velcro closure, and that’s a tiny little baby quibble. But all of the shoes are so beautiful it hurts.

12. Lisa J says:

I love the gold platforms and NEED them badly.

13. suz says:

I love the platforms. There is just something about the right gold shoe. A fine line yeah …but when it works its amazing. I am also trying to figure out a reason to buy that tumbler. Do I need it? No. But do I NEED it ? :D hmmm

14. Maria says:

I love all the shoes in this post. Those gold snakeskin platforms are hurting me, I want them so badly.

15. edie says:

Those tumblers are, unfortunately, part of a beautiful series that is incredibly expensive (I checked out the Artedona website, which carries Theresienthal). Like, over $300 for one tumbler. But . . . you should see the pitchers! Makes a great gift, I guess . . .

16. Blair says:

Those gold shoes are DIVINE. I’m not sure I can do without them! The others are absolutely perfect as well. Why can’t just a few of us be given them, because we deserve them!

17. Tamara says:

Love the gold platforms. Can’t justify the price after just finishing a total redecorating of my house (YIKES!!) was the book launch from that amazing style book yu put out that still inspires? I loved it! When’s the sequel?

18. Tamara says:

Can I also add that I will always be a huge fan of Andrea’s? I always flipped first to her page in the old Lucky. And always copied her looks from that page. Is she writing somewhere? Another blog maybe? Please let me know if she is…

19. a.d.s. says:

Those Rochas heels are way cool.

20. gablesgirl says:

Love the Rochas. You have reminded me a bought a pair of similar heels from YSL a few years back at NM Last Call. I need to dig them out!

I mostly really like those shoes. The form is nearly perfect. Platforms will always be in style in my world. I am not so fond of the trim on the straps though, but it’s no big deal.

I vote for bright pink toenail polish. I know I don’t get a vote but hey, it would look nice with the gold.

22. daisyj says:

Well, fine, I will be the person: Those shoes are the disco mayor of Clunk City.

But whatever. What do I know? I’m sure they looked awesome on.

23. Donna says:

I love all of the shoes in this post, especially the Rochas with that cool heel!
    And yes, you two do look like sisters!
    Donna