Thursday 21st August 2014

How to get photographed during fashion week, F/W `13 edition

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 12.40.34 AM

The tents went up. The photographers came out, and the crazy followed.  Here’s what it took to rise to the top.

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 12.50.05 AM

Wear ski googles at the first sign of snow. As one does.

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 1.31.06 AM

As ever, clashy prints were big. Don’t stop piling them on until looking at the outfit you’ve composed makes you a little dizzy.

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 1.00.33 PM

Also: extra points for clashy prints with clashy hair.

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 12.50.44 AM

Wear a kittycat hat and you will go far.

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 1.03.26 PM

The I’ll be totally busted if I’m not back by study hall look was popular.

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 1.46.47 PM

And texting while accessorizing was photographer catnip.

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 1.02.51 AM

Models pretending to be bandits was a real sleeper hit.

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 12.53.10 AM

As was this top-guard-in-charge-at-fashion-prison look.

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 1.24.00 AM

And above all else: just be cool, and don’t look like you’re trying too hard.

Photos courtesy of The Cut, Vogue, Bazaar, Racked, and Style.com

Tags: ,
Posted on February 15th, 2013 17 Comments

1. dressperado says:

Very funny! Great post. It seems some enjoy the “collage” (collagiate?)style of dressing. ;-)

2. Carrie says:

I would clearly never get the photogs attention. I’m not risky enough to go full on crazy like some of these ladies.

3. daisyj says:

For a shortcut, wrap yourself in double-sided tape and dive headfirst into your laundry hamper. Repeat as necessary.

4. improvdiary says:

Best fashion week post I’ve seen. Thank you.

5. Genius! Not to mention hilarious. My favorite observation: “Models pretending to be bandits was a real sleeper hit.”

6. cynthia kling says:

great pics! who knew that ski goggles could take someone that far.

7. AmyM says:

This made me snort: As was this top-guard-in-charge-at-fashion-prison look.
    Best line of copy I’ve read all week.

8. Cookie P. says:

hysterical… so funny. Kim France, I love the way you write. Love.

9. Donna says:

Now I know that I needn’t even try to get photographed. I would never wear any of those outfits, and I don’t have a giant purse. I’m just not stylish enough. *sigh* *giggle*
    Donna

10. Lesley says:

I have to admit I am all over that green and leopard ensemble! Am I the only one who thinks it’s not *quite* as crazy as the others?

11. Joanna aka Alexa (@alexa11221) says:

Love the top with the ski goggles. I mean, I wouldn’t wear it, but I like looking at it. Same for the leopard coat over green.

The gorilla overcoat with the Chanel hula hoop purse is pure comedy gold. Especially with your genius caption. Many hearts of thank you.

12. Jules says:

To put it simply, it is a freak show. I would say they all ” jumped the shark” about a million times over. There is a fine line between being a fashion risk taker and looking like you are attending a costume party.

13. SueM says:

Oh thank you for always saying what we are thinking! How do they manage to look bat shit crazy and bored stiff/Cruella nasty at the same time? We all know the amount of work it takes to look that nuts, why appear like you can’t quite make yourself care?
    I love fashion, and all the showbiz, but will always prefer style over costume.

14. Hysterically. LMAO
    but the scary thing is I bought a vintage hat today that may just put me in this group.