Wednesday 23rd July 2014

Monday morning after links

I can’t quite bring myself to do the usual boppy little mix of of links this morning, because—like lots of you, surely—I’m still suffering from a big ugly sadness hangover after Friday’s atrocious events in Connecticut. Instead, I bring you this footage of  Sandy Hook Elementary School teacher Kaitlin Roig, who barricaded herself and her students in a tiny bathroom and saved all of their lives—displaying a presence of mind, bravery, and composure during those hideous moments that speaks to the best of what we’re capable of as humans. Every time one of these tragedies occurs, my heartbreak is outmeasured only by my fury.  It’s time for our lawmakers to wrap their heads around the idea that they can’t continue to cut mental health services while simultaneously neglecting to enact stricter gun control legislation without expecting nightmares like this to just keep on happening.

Also:

• I liked what John Cassidy had to say about Michael Bloomberg—a mayor who is sometimes hard to love, but has been consistently zealous in his support of gun control, and now looks as though he was only gathering steam.  (The New Yorker)
  • “Just Illegalize us already,” Nation’s Assault Weapons Beg, and other moments of levity, brought to us in the past few days via the Onion. (The Onion)
  • Professional basketball player Kevin Durant went on court with a small but touching ad-hoc memorial to Newtown’s victims Friday night.  (Deadspin)
  • Finally: The folks over at Saturday Night Live decided to open not with the usual comedy bit, but with the New York City Children’s Chorus singing Silent Night. Try to watch without crying just a little. (Hulu)
Posted on December 17th, 2012 9 Comments

1. I watched the video of Kaitlin Roig over the weekend and bawled. Again. Her composure in the midst of chaos – her love for the children she was charged with – was amazing to me. Thank God for people like Kaitlin Roig. And also? The Onion, for making me laugh and cry at the same time.

2. Donna says:

I’m so glad you said what you did about mental health services. No mentally healthy person kills strangers and then themselves. We can’t expect all individuals with mental health issues to get treatment themselves, especially if they don’t have insurance. I’m not sure what the answer is, but I know this is crucial. And why does any ordinary person need an assault weapon for self defense or hunting? (answer? they don’t)
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and emotions.
    Donna

3. Rosemary says:

Very much agree. The teachers, the library aide? Badass beyond belief, their calm, their presence of mind? Wrote my congressperson Carolyn Maloney over the weekend, time to reinstate the Federal Bans on Assault Weapons have to start somewhere.

4. beth says:

Re: SNL. Just reading that made me cry. I’m a mess. Have to pull it together for my kids. Never had a national tragedy affect so deeply. I’m sure it’s because I have kids exactly the ages of those children and I know so well their ordinary fears.

Love to everyone except assault weapon supporters. I hate you.

5. Gwenn says:

Since you have gone political, I am surprised no comment on the media mishandling of the information regarding the tragedy, that too was a tragedy!

6. Stakra says:

Just wishing there was a 48 hour ban on the media’s ability to go all verbal diarreaha over these events. Get the news (facts) out yes, people need to know something horrible has happened. After that at least 48 hours of silence to allow those involved to do their jobs and those affected some privacy. 24/7 media at its worst IMO.

• KimFrance says:

Listen, I had as much frustration over the TV coverage of the early early hours of this event as anyone; the 24 hour news channels always seem to have a (pardon the expression) shoot now, ask questions later approach that I find deeply irresponsible. It devastated me, for instance, to see in early reports that people were drawing a connection between the shooter’s Asperger’s Syndrome and his actions because, as anybody with even a rudimentary knowledge of Asperger’s knows—drawing such a conclusion was ludicrous. I also wish these events weren’t given such wall-to-wall coverage, and I really wish the identity of the people responsible for these massacres was never released to the public, because the notion that they’ll live on in infamy is such a strong motivation for so many of them. Sadly, however, the general public’s hunger for all of this is insatiable, and big media is simply doing what every big business does: following the money. I probably didn’t include all of these thoughts because I was trying to keep it brief, but believe me, this it another topic about which I could go very long indeed.

7. Jo says:

I’m think SNL did have the monologue, it’s just not on SNL.