Wednesday 27th August 2014

Morning links

• I am always fascinated to read about Christine Jorgensen, born George Jorgensen in the Bronx, who became the first person ever to have a widely publicized sex change operation, returning post-surgery from Europe  and becoming—briefly and improbably—the toast of Hollywood. (BBC)
  • Talk about the belly of the beast: these pictures of from inside the gargantuan warehouse spaces where Amazon stores its books are stupefying. (imgur)
  • This color-coded map of the world’s most and least emotional countries is good for a laugh or two. (Washington Post via Refinery 29)
  • Definitely don’t look at this one if you haven’t had breakfast yet. (Daily Mail)
  • And finally: If there is a hell, I sincerely hope there is a special room for defense attorneys who argue that 11 year-old victims of gang rape were in any way asking for it. (chron.com)
Posted on November 30th, 2012 7 Comments

1. RJS says:

When I was living in Seattle, I applied for a job with Amazon. I didn’t get it, because I was “overqualified.” Now, I’m glad. One could get lost for weeks, wandering through the aisles in search of “The Happy Hooker” or “Jewish Mothers for Dummies.”

2. aaryn b. says:

The breathtaking Amazon photos reminded of this incredible must-read piece by a journalist who went undercover for three days as an employee at an unnamed warehouse: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/mac-mcclelland-free-online-shipping-warehouses-labor

Belly of the beast, indeed.

• Viajera says:

My thing with Amazon is that I feel a bit guilty for using their ratings, even though I try not to shop there b/c of the horrendous reputation on labor issues. So I am kind of freeriding too a bit. (Though I do sometimes buy there.)

I wish they would just fix the problem. I doubt it would add much to the costs, if they’re moving that much merch. Bunch of bums.

3. Tanya says:

I’ve been following Ohio 11 year-old story since it broke. I just can’t…heartbroken.

4. Tanya says:

I mean Texas, oy.

Just as food for thought, as I can’t speak to this situation exactly, but, lawyers generally have an *ethical duty* to represent their clients *zealously,* no matter how much of a scumbag they are. You are not supposed to phone it in, ever. (I would wonder in fact, if saying outrageous things weren’t some sort of a reverse Hail Mary, in fact. But, pure speculation…)

It’s how our system works, it has been determined to be the best way to protect innocent people who look guilty … a la the Central Park Five.

Yes, it can be ugly, especially in sexual assault cases. And I’m not saying that attacking the victim is okay, in this instance or any other. We just have to have faith in our adversarial system and in juries. It can go wrong the other direction too.

6. I once interviewed to decorate the offices of a firm of criminal attorneys. In the lobby they wanted to feature a totem of chainsaw art, a thank-you gift from a biker gang.

I didn’t even follow up.