Saturday 25th October 2014

Morning links

• Barack Obama, the Blue Note years. (Voices of East Anglia)
  • Another day, another designer in a snit over a Cathy Horyn review.  (The Cut)
  • Watch this Wisconsin news anchor calmly and elegantly  eviscerate the viewer who emailed to say she was too fat to be on TV. (Frisky)
  • Prosthetic limbs with attitude. (BBC News)
  • And here’s a Q&A with Fran Lebowitz. Because when is that ever a bad thing? (The Awl)

Posted on October 3rd, 2012 17 Comments

1. janet says:

Thanks for sharing the Fran Lebowitz interview. Food for thought. And, remembering all the stuff I heard about and caught glimpses of as a teenager in the city.

• Viajera says:

Yes, a very interesting article. She’s got some big thoughts happening. Hope the block goes away.

2. Gwenn says:

Don’t ruin a perfectly good blog with this pandering political drivel.

3. Amy says:

Thanks for sharing the blue note link.

I’m getting a shelter mag article when I click on the Horyn link. Any chance you could re-share the link?

4. I don’t click on often enough to say how much I appreciate your blog. I always see things that I never would have other wise but you don’t waste my time either. And I am not really sure what is political drivel here but hey! That’s just me.
    Merci encore and keep on keepin’ on please…
    Heather

5. carmencatalina says:

Those prosthetic limbs are bad-ass,and I love it! And more Fran Lebowitz always makes things good.

I should tell you, I save reading your blog for when I get something that is particularly annoying completed at work, or when I make traction on something I’m putting off. My employers should keep you on retainer, you are increasing my productivity.

6. Aparatchick says:

Generally, if I see a link that I think will take me to “pandering political drivel,” I simply don’t click on it.

Kim, perhaps you have some insight into why designers (and their PR people) do stupid things like that. Because honestly, it seems ridiculous to an outsider like me.

• Viajera says:

Also, I don’t get fashion press in general. Part of it is, for me fashion is 95% visual. I look at a picture, I like the clothes or not. I can see historical references, but they don’t influence my opinion, at least not consciously. And on the rare occasions I try to struggle through a Horyn piece, or anyone like her, I understand very little of what the bleep she’s talking about. No offense to her in particular.

Maybe it is like the scene in Devil Wears Prada, where the Streep/Wintour person tries to shame the youngster for not knowing that someone else actually picked the color of her sweater for her?

Except I thought that scene was b.s. I think cultural gatekeepers vastly overstate their influence. Mostly, people are going to buy a sweater because they need or want one. And yes, fashion people to some extent determine the colors that will be available that year. So what? If we don’t like, we don’t buy. I mean, who really in this country hasn’t already got a sweater?

Why intellectualize clothing to that extent? And the people in charge of the fashion press seem to perpetuate so much that is harmful, why do they have such attitude? I don’t get it.

Otoh, if I am missing something meaningful that these people contribute, please tell me.

That newscaster in Wisconsin is fantastic!!! Good for her.

8. amy says:

loved the beautiful prosthetic legs. wish i could cut and paste from the sartorialist. he had a gorgeous shot a while back of a girl riding a bicycle wearing deep russet and a brass prosthetic leg. incredible. check it out for fun. best,

• Viajera says:

This is kind of fascinating. I have all kinds of questions, like, where did the photo of the guy come from, in this story you linked to? How does it just happen that this photo of him was around, waiting to be put online? I am sooo curious.

Also, could this newscaster have avoided the whole thing by just not having a FB page? Seriously, I have issues with FB (though of course, I also use it sometimes).

Thirdly, I have to say, his letter, at least the parts she quoted, *was* politely worded. It is just that he shouldn’t have said any of it, that makes it bullying. Well, that, and that it was (apparently?) sent or posted publicly. I am not so sure that he deserves to be the “most hated” guy in AM. Plus, if he’s an attention hound, as seems likely, then shouldn’t we all ignore him??? I am going to start … now!

But I agree with everything Livingston said. It should be the old rule of etiquette: we do not offer negative comments on other people’s appearances, EVER. No good can come of it. She is not a celebrity, she is a journalist. Big, big difference. Plus, even if she were a celebrity, still most of the time, why go there?

I think it should still be okay to give compliments, though. ; >

• Viajera says:

Update: Huffpost says he emailed her, originally. I wonder if this means she publicized the whole thing herself?

The plot thickens. No pun intended! I am totally on her side … except maybe the making-it-public part. I think it is bad manners to share contents of emails with others without permission.

Still, I dig her spirit. Healthy people come in all sizes. He behaved like a d-bag.

• Viajera says:

Zounds, I spoke too soon! It was her husband who made it public, on FB.

I am shutting up now.