Friday 28th November 2014

Forget the jubilee—bring on the stuff

I like a fancy royal spectacle as much as the next girl, but am having a tough getting it up for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. She is just such a singularly un-compelling figure, and—did you see The Queen? Because maybe you’ll agree—possibly the toughest mother-in-law ever. I do rather love the merch, however. There’s nothing I’m a bigger sucker for than a super-cool take on the Union Jack.

Like this punkified scarf from Age of Reason.  Warning: it’s from Coco de Mer, which is a very fabulous high-end London erotic boutique, and the website is on the NSFW-ish side.

This Liberty scarf hits a more subdued note. Doesn’t Queen Elizabeth look sweet and possibly almost vulnerable here?

I am just immature enough to admit that this House of Holland commemorative tea towel cracks me up every time I look at it.

And for the lady who wants to play things more sophisticated, Mulberry just yesterday introduced a very limited edition of  bags to mark the Jubilee. All of which are a bit too I-get-regular-manicures for me, but all of which I’d very much like nonetheless.

Tags: , ,
Posted on June 1st, 2012 15 Comments

1. Adrien says:

I love that Mulberry clutch so, so hard. So hard.

2. Liking the Age of Reason scarf very much. But confused over the slightly discombobulated pug–more Wallis Simpson than HRH, no? There should be a corgi bearing up beneath that crown.

3. rosemary says:

love the scarf and the tea towels You could frame either one and hang on your wall which would be nice It is amazing she is queen for so long but I think it is time to hand over to William.

4. PhotoGirl says:

Never mind the NSFW warning on the Age of Reason scarf, you should have warned me about the price! Thank gooodness I realized it said pounds and not dollars before I tried to buy it. I do love it, though…
    (Is Coco de Mer the late Anita Roddick’s daughter, or am I imagining that?)

5. Sharon says:

I need the tea towel. Cracks me up.

6. edie says:

Uncompelling figure? After all these years? That is cruel. And basing an opinion on a movie? C’mon, Kim–you’re better than that. Who of us would want to change places with her?! It’s an impossible existence that she never asked for. I say brava to her–I hope she enjoys every moment of her jubilee. She deserves to party.

• KimFrance says:

Yes to the impossible-job-that-she-never-asked-for part, I know. I don’t know why anyone would want that life. Tina Brown wrote a fantastic book about Diana that’s actually just a really interesting social history of the monarch, and it just sounds like the drudgery followed by boredom.
      But still: she just kind of bums me out. Taking Diana’s title away, not wanting to send the royal jet to Paris to pick up Diana’s remains after she died (when she used it for far less consequential trips routinely); not even coming to Charles and Camilla’s wedding. She just seems like one tough customer to me.
      But I’m happy all those Brits are having fun with it. They sure do love themselves a royal family.

7. lauren says:

I would love to party with the queen! I think she is amazing, after all these years. Elizabeth rocks!

Very cute blog!

-Lauren

8. Jill Rowe says:

Here is a photo of the Queen when she was probably at her best!

Found on one of my favorite websites http://www.benpentreath.com. The link is his blog, which is truly inspirational. In fact, I refer to it with anticipation each Spring to see his gorgeous Cotswald garden come into bloom. Check out his shop as well, which is on same link. Lots of covetables.

Jill

9. CoudreMode says:

The Liberty Scarf is in a collection called “English Eccentrics” which is pretty funny in the context of the Queen

10. Marsha Nikooforsat says:

Wow!!! Just read about your new gig here in the New York Times!! I will definitely be following. I am definitely the girl you write for… Go Kim!!!! Absolutely Awesome!!!

11. mslewis says:

Normally, I’m all for the pomp, etc. when it comes to the royals but I’m just not feeling this jubilee thing. Maybe I’m still recovering from the wedding, which I loved. So far I haven’t seen any of the specials on BBC America or that one with Katie Couric. I decided I had other things to do. Also, didn’t see “The Queen” because I really wasn’t interested. Oh well.

I want that scarf. Prefer the pug over those awful corgis. Maybe there will be a cheaper version somewhere online.

12. Charlie says:

The WIndsors definitely know how to put on a show. I am always impressed by how they manage Corp WIndsor.

13. I like this liberty scarf. I’m an ‘I get regular manicures’ kind of lady, though.