Racked has just posted its ranking of the 38 best indie stores in New York. And the lineup confirms what I’ve been suspecting: it’s time to get reacquainted with the G train—at least once or twice, in order to check out a few list-makers I’ve been hearing about for a while, like Raised by Wolves, Alter, and Dalaga. (In God we Trust has the Lafayette Street location, so I get partial credit there.)
A few shops they love that I love too:
- Fort Greene’s excellently edited, warm and neighborhoody Stuart & Wright.
- No.6: Land of clog boots and safely edgy apparel, where I always get ignored but continue to return.
- Castor & Pollux, one of the West Village’s few destinations for smaller, slightly riskier lines.
- The Williamsburg Bird, about which I have already rhapsodized.
- Dear Fieldbinder, a store so compelling I’ll brave Smith Street on a Saturday for it.
- Love, Adorned, Lori Leven’s brilliant and eclectic home goods/accessory/apparel emporium/tattoo parlor.
- Jumelle, another Williamsburger whose virtues I recently extolled.